Having severe back pain while sleeping. History of bladder and kidney infections. How to get relief?

Okay so this has been going on for a while. I thought maybe because of my mattress but Ichanged that over two years ago. I always thought that i couldn't sleep in because of having poor sleeping habits. But now I am realizing that I am waking up more and more during the night sometimes three four times because of a pain on my left side towards the back, I thought maybe because i had to go to the bathroom, perhaps gas, perhaps poor posture, I have no idea, But the last year I even went to the hospital in the missle of the night because I was litterally crying from the pain. I have had bladder and kidney infections but more when I was younger. I might have an infection once every two years now, but that pain is usually in my shoulder blades. I am noticing that when I wake up and go sit down there is a burning sensation (like creeping) towards the lower left of my side and down my leg.. I joined 3 months ago a gym thinking I was out of shape, I should loose another 20lbs but I am doing 5 hours aa week at the gym, running, bike and weights. It has not changed my pain in the middle of the night. I am female 47 years old. I was in Jamaica in March and had a real bad time with this. It spoiled my entire time, since I could not relax or sleep well. So I thought i woild look for some answers.Oh yes one more thing. I had my right ovary removed 16 years ago. I went int o tie my tubes ( i already had three children) and the docotr found a mass on the ovary and removed it. I had a gyno appointment two moths ago and besides fibroids everything seemed normal. Thank you
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
It's a pity that you are suffering a pain for so long and had to be in the hospital in the weird hours for that.
I would like to know if any diagnostic work up was done at the hospital.
There can be several causes of the pain, right from peptic ulcer disease to an abscess or pancreatitis or a renal stone. You need to spare sometime for consulting a physician for physical examination and related investigations.
I would like you to have the following investigations:
a.     Complete blood count
b.     Kidney function tests
c.     Urine examination
d.     Ultrasound of the abdomen
e.     X-ray chest

Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Hope that answered your query.
Follow-up: Having severe back pain while sleeping. History of bladder and kidney infections. How to get relief? 1 hour later
I just did blood test about two months ago and I do them yearly. Everything comes back normal. I just called my doctor and I have an appointment on thursday. I will keep you posted if know anything else.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 6 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Please go ahead
Good luck!