Having severe back pain and numb leg while sitting. What are the chances of bulging disc?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi Doctor XXXXXXX
My partner has been complaining of severe pain in his lower back- MAINLY OCCURING WHEN HE IS SITTING DOWN. HOWEVER, hE HAS BEEN AWAKE MUST OF LAST NIGHT WITH THE DISCOMFORT AND PAIN IN HIS LOWER LEFT SIDE OF HIS BACK ALSO STATING THAT HIS LEFT LEG HAD BECOME NUMB AT TIMES. HE COULD NOT DRIVE HIS CAR THIS MORNING AND HAD TO GET A NEIGHBOUR TO DRIVE HIME TO A THERAPIST PRACTIONER WHO TOOK ONE LOOK AT HIM AND TOLD HIM TO GO TO HIS DOCTOR AS HE THINKS THAT HE MAY HAVE A BULGING DISC. DR. XXXXXXX I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD ENLIGHTEN ME IN ANY WAY WITH REGARDS TO THIS MATTER.

THANKING YOU
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The pain in lower back with numbness in leg after sitting is likely to be due to spondylottic changes in the spine which cause the spinal level.
These are age related degenerative changes in the spine and are progressive in nature.
Adequate bed rest and physical therapy are the mainstay of treatment.
Improvising the posture while sitting will be helpful in retarding the further progress of such changes.
For symptomatic treatment taking methylcobalamin supplements will be helpful.
Doing an MRI scan of the lumbo sacral spine will help in confirming the diagnosis.
He needs to consult an orthopedician who after an examination will order tests like MRI of spine to find the extent of damage.
The main treatment of such pain is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with his symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic.
You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from his Orthopedician after examination.
Meanwhile follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, he needs bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under his knees if it doesn't bother him.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.
- Avoid exercises in times of pain.
- Improvise the posture while sitting.
- Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Also, maintain a proper posture while working, sitting and standing. Keep your back straight. If he works for long hours on the computer, the following link will tell you the posture to maintain while working:
WWW.WWWW.WW Back strengthening exercises will also help.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.