Having severe back pain. Recovering from broken ankle. Taking paracetamol. Pain in thigh and burning. What can I do?

Spine Surgeon
I have had severe back pain for 2 weeks now my GP says its either because of me still recovering from a broken left ankle 10 weeks ago or a strain caused by being a gardener for last 6 years (now retired).I take paracetamol and only substitute with codeine if pain is too bad. A hot bath does help but yesterday I could hardly move for pain in left thigh and bum area! Exercise does help if I work through the pain and take a walk,but I feel it should be clearing up quicker than it is.
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 20 minutes later
thanks for writing to us.
severe back pain may be due to back muscle spasm or disc prolapse. I dont think its related to ankle. I would suggest to try anti inflammatory with muscle relaxant with physical therapy for pain relief. If pain persist then consult orthopaedic doctor and you may have to get spine xrays. Thanks.