Having severe acne issues on cheeks. How to treat this?

Dec 2013

I'm having severe acne issues. I develop a lot of them on my cheeks. However, the rest of my skin is very healthy and clean. I workout 5-6 days a week, eat home-cooked food and drink occasionally. I sit long hours in front of laptop due to my work and study requirements. Also, my room is poorly ventilated. Can that be the cause for my acne?
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please go through the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern for pimples. For a female it is really distressing if there is presence of pimples on face.

Before I proceed to your issue let me explain you elaborately regarding pimples- Acne or pimples generally appears at the age of 13-14 years and then almost vanishes by the age of 25 years. These erupts basically due to hormones (chemicals which are influencing one or other body functions including growth, puberty and development of body in adults) in addition to the influence of certain other factors causing its aggravation.

The hormone testosterone and its bye-products plays the most important role in high oil secretion and increase the size of oil glands especially in males. As the pores or ducts of the glands are blocked so it leads to formation of pimples. In females there is not a direct presence of testosterone is there but the female hormones turns into the testosterone and other of related chemicals. In yourself as there had been a history of delayed menses, so it can also be a cause for the same.

There are certain other factors such as application of oily or creamy products, over exposure to sunlight, heat and humidity or due to pinching, popping and squeezing of the pimples also leads to formation of pimples.

Once these are healing they leave the most problematic thing which are either marks or scars.

Therefore any of the above factors along with hormones can cause appearance of pimples at the age of 24 years also.So probably you got some idea regarding your acne.

There are certain suggestions which you can follow:

1. Do not pinch, pop or squeeze any area on face.

2. Do not apply any creamy or oily stuff or any other cosmetics over face.

3. Try to avoid any home remedies suggested by your friends or family members or otherwise self implicated therapies also.

4. Try avoiding situations of direct continuous exposure to sunlight or heat and humidity for long hours. Make your room properly ventilated it will improve the status of pimples.

5. Kindly do not use any antibiotic as self medication.

6. Do not apply any hair oil on scalp or apply in very less amount. Wash your scalp daily with some good shampoo and let there be no dandruff in your scalp ( because dandruff itself causes blockage of pores of oil glands and then pimples).

7. Other than that I would advise you to take "isotretinoin"- which is very good drug meant for long term benefit of acne. It should be taken only under dermatologist's guidance. This is to be taken only if you are unmarried. SO let us know your marital status.

Hope these informations will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to help.

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)