Having severe acid reflux. Taking nexium and domperidone. Endoscopy normal. Can I take prokinetics also?

I have severe acid reflux and taking nexium for more than 6 years sometimes along with domperidone, My endoscopy shows normal. I was prescribed Prokinetics also. Can I take all these drugs for years?

Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 2 hours later
Dear Friend,

Thanks for writing in.

The tratment for Reflux disease is antacids and prokinetics.
There is no significant risks even you take these medications for years.

Proton pump inhibitors, ie. Nexium are associated increased risks of community acquired pneumonias. It is because, with acid suppression, bacteria starts thriving in stomach and with reflux can cause pneumonias. It not very common thoug. So be reassured.

Therefore, PPIs and prokinetics are relatively safe..

Also, you should read about Laproscopic Fundoplication. It is an operative procedure which could potentially cure the disease of reflux.

Hope this answers the query.

Do get back if you ned any further information.

Follow-up: Having severe acid reflux. Taking nexium and domperidone. Endoscopy normal. Can I take prokinetics also? 9 hours later
I would like to know whether taking Domperidone is safe. I am taking this once a day. I am taking Clonozepam for my depression symptoms. I am confused of how to reduce these medications. I couldn't get proper advice from the physician I visit. Please advice
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 8 hours later

Domperidone is also safe and can be taken for long term in people with reflux disease.

Regarding the reduction in the medications.
You will have to continue PPIs and domperidone. Its only after surgical procedure that you would be able to discontinue these medications.

Regarding clonazepam, you will need to redue gradually. Reduced the dose for a week and see how you feel. Later take alternate days and then gradually try to discontinue.
I am sure you would be able to overcome this.

Wish hou good health.

Warm regards.

Dr Kiran