Having severe abdominal pain. Feel like bloating. Have bouts of diarrhea. Took Imodium. Cause? Remedy?

Question
Hi, lately i have been getting horrible pain in my upper abdomen a couple of hours after eating, feels like gas bloating but really hurts and seems stuck there. After an hour or two the bubble seems to lessen, then I have bouts of diarrhea or loose stools for several hours. Typically feel a little "off" the next day and in one case had loose stools for two days afterward. It doesn't happen every day; has happened twice in the last five days, with a few bouts of upper abdominal gas bloating that has occurred both after eating and twice after not having eaten anything. Imodium doesn't help, seemed to make it worse. I tried Gas-X and i think it helped but not right away. Any ideas?
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Bowel infection,lab culture,probiotics use.

Detailed Answer:

Your symptoms might indicate any infection of bowels. You can do a stool culture (copro-culture and candida), and exam of feces for parasitic infection.

Intestinal probiotics can help stabilize intestinal microbiota and tasectan can help with diarrhea. Once you send your stool in the lab, you can start a therapy with Flagyl until the lab results. This is a prescription only drug. Probiotics (Lactobacillus) are available over the counter you can enquire at the drug store in your area for good brands.

When you will have the stool exam results, you can send to me to evaluate your situation along with further treatment.

Follow-up: Having severe abdominal pain. Feel like bloating. Have bouts of diarrhea. Took Imodium. Cause? Remedy? 46 minutes later
Thank you! One thing - the abdominal pain hasn't happened every day or every time I eat, and the loose bowels have been three of five days all day, but sometimes in the morning I'll have a normal BM. Just a little more detail to make sure, thanks!

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Abnormal bowel movements.lab test determination.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the details. It is common for such bowel problems to cause such abnormalities to bowel movements.

That's why I have recommended to perform such lab tests to ensure if the problems you are having are really related to such problems or to your diet.

Waiting for the results to be in.

Hope it helped!

Follow-up: Having severe abdominal pain. Feel like bloating. Have bouts of diarrhea. Took Imodium. Cause? Remedy? 1 hour later
Thank you so much! I will follow up with the lab.

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome!

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome!