Having sever back pain. Took ibuprofen. Diagnosed muscle spasm. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello Doctor, I am having a severe back ache for last couple of months..It happens atleast once a week..for last 4 days, it has been continuing daily..I feel like there is an air bubble stuck up in the middle back, 2 inch right to the spinal cord..I only get relief if I take an ibruffen..This problem starts towards evening around 6PM and becomes worse by the time I goto bed..I saw few doctors and they say that it is muscle spasm...I took Myoril for a week..I got well and 2 days after the medicine is over, it started again..I even can not sleep properly and turn to sides while on bed..I would like to know

1)what is the cause of this frequent problem
2)what medication can I take to get a permanent relief. Thanks for your help
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 22 minutes later
Hello ,

thanks for writing to us

I am Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi, I am Orthopaedic surgeon and spine specialist.

I have studied your case. It appears to be an occupation related problem.

The cause of frequent problem -this kind of pain is due to compression of nerve because of spinal disc bulge. Nerve compression lead to radiating pain, which aggravated on long time sitting in same particular position.

Do spine extension exercises,lying on your stomach lift leg,then lift only head and chest,do suryanamaskar[sun salutation]
Do stretches and rotation of all joints

Here are my other useful suggestions to you:
Avoid lifting weights
Sit with a support on your back.
Take break every half hour while at office. Try to do some stretches and joint movements
Continue spine extension exercises.

If the above do not help, you may need to see a Physiotherapist/yoga teacher
Check your vit B12 level and vit D3 level through blood test.
For permanent relief you need to investigate in the form of - X XXXXXXX spine and if needed, MRI spine and management accordingly

Stress also increases back pain so I advice:
Get ample sleep, good amount of water and fluids .eat fresh fruits. Tackle stress at right time, don’t drive bike for long time,keep your body weight in normal range.