Having sensation of fingers falling asleep. Sign of stroke?

Jun 2015

My question is, is itnormal for your fingers to sometimes feeel like they are asleep? Is it a sign of a stroke? Is your blood pressure elevated before a stroke?
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later

The sensation of fingers falling asleep is mainly due to nerve compression, which can be attributed to:
1. Carpel tunnel syndrome.
2. Inflammation.
3. Incorrect sitting or sleeping posture.
4. Systemic diseases like Diabetes, Hypertension.
5. Deficiency of nutrients like Vitamin B12, Folic acid, Calcium, which help in proper nerve conduction.

So,if the symptoms persist, it will be better to consult a Neurologist & get a proper physical examination done.
Based upon that, appropriate management steps could be taken.
Investigations like Nerve conduction studies and estimation of blood pressure & blood sugar levels will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.

Stroke is caused due to sudden loss of the function of the brain, due to inadequate blood supply to the brain.
And this is associated with symptoms like weakness in the limbs, abnormal speech, etc. depending upon the region of brain involved.

Of course, uncontrolled levels of high blood pressure is a major risk factor for the onset of stroke.

So, a regular check on the blood pressure should be maintained.

Wishing you a Good Health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.