Having sebaceous cyst. Having family history of lymphoma. Should I take a second opinion?

Hello. Recently I pointed out to my nurse practitioner a small about 1cm or smaller hard lump right on my jawline right side of my chin and its movable non painful. I have had it for a long while now few years i think and i always thought it was an ingrown hair that would come back. But i started to realize its always there. She had scheduled me to see a urgent care surgeon on Dec 8th thinks its a sebaceous cyst. Lymphoma seems to run in my family so now im getting a little worried. Im wondering should i get a second opinion before having anything removed.
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: biopsy would be confirmatory Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX I have read your query diligently, and understand your concerns. The lump is movable and in non-painful. Sebaceous cysts are often painful due to secondary infection or inflammation. Also, it is existing for long time now. You also give a history of lymphoma in the family. There is a probability of the lump being lymphoma as well since it is painless. I would suggest you to get a biopsy of the lump done along with histopathological examination under the microscope to rule out underlying condition. This investigation would be confirmatory, and further steps of management can be taken based on the biopsy report. This you must do even before having the entire lump removed. Hope this information helps you. Please discuss about the same with your surgeon on Dec 8. Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Having sebaceous cyst. Having family history of lymphoma. Should I take a second opinion? 15 minutes later
I thought sebaceous cysts are usually painless?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: true sebaceous cysts are painless Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Yes, true sebaceous cysts are painless. However, in majority of the clinical settings, they are secondarily infected or inflamed causing pain. Individual symptoms may differ. Only a biopsy of the lump can prove the diagnosis. Hope this answers your query.
Follow-up: Having sebaceous cyst. Having family history of lymphoma. Should I take a second opinion? 3 minutes later
it is also not under my jawline along neck area its more above it are lympnodes higher up
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later
Brief Answer: upload a picture of the same Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX If it is possible, upload a picture of the same. You have a feature to upload the image by yourself on the right side of this query page. You may want to utilize it. That would give me a better clue. Regards,