Having sclerotherapy for varicose veins. Muscular spasms in legs and toes after long travel. No swelling

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Woke up Monday morning with a severe XXXXXXX horse in my right leg. Earlier I was also getting toe spasms. I had been on a plane 1 hour and then a 3 1/2 hour flight after that on Sunday afternoon/evening. The XXXXXXX horse went away after massaging the calf and getting up and walking around, however, 3 days later and my calf is still very sore when I walk. I want to know if this is common. I have also been having sclerotherapy on this same leg for spider and varicose veins but havent had any injections in the past couple of months. I am not noticing any swelling, heat or redness in the calf area.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
After a painful muscle spasm, the persistence of mild soreness in the muscle mass is common and expected. Gradual increase in exercise and pain killers with mild symptoms.
Sometimes, it can be due to dehydration, muscle fatigue or electrolyte abnormalities. It is better to drink sufficient fluid and also see that your intake of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium ) is sufficient. You can drink Oralyte for this.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.