Having scanty bleeding after taking misoprostol. Pregnancy test positive. What does this mean?

Infertility Specialist
i have taken misoprostol twice , once on saturday and once on sunday , since then i have had very scanty bleeding. i had to change pads only once in 24 hours , hardly any abdominal pain. Last night i did a pregnancy test it still showed positive . till saturday i was five weeks pregnant. what does this mean ? the embryo is still growing? why does the test show positive? what should be my next step?
Posted Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

I have read your query & I understand your concerns. Following is my reply:

1) It is possible that you might be still pregnant even after taking misoprostol. You need to check by transvaginal ultrasound.

2) Misoprostol is not a safe tablet to consume without prescription of a doctor. You need to undergo ultrasound scan for locating gestational sac on ultrasound examination before taking the pills for termination of pregnancy.

3) Please get an ultrasound to locate embryo. Then XXXXXXX a ynecologist who can decide best possible medications which can be given before taking misoprostol. There are other medicines too.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist.
Follow-up: Having scanty bleeding after taking misoprostol. Pregnancy test positive. What does this mean? 12 minutes later
does bleeding not mean termination of pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 minutes later

Bleeding means it could be incomplete or complete abortion. The only way to confirm is by ultrasound.

Incomplete abortion leads to many complications like infection, bleeding etc..

Dr.Mahesh Koregol.