Ask a Dentist   »  

Having sacrum pain. Had premolar extracted. Infection in the site of extraction. Is the infection related to the sacrum pain?

Psychiatrist
Question
4 weeks ago I experienced sudden sacrum pain, with no trauma. I had had a pre-molar extracted on a Thursday and began feeling "ill" on Saturday, the same day my sacral pain began. Coincidentally, I had an infection in the tooth extraction area and both my sacrum pain and infection-induced "ickies" got worse on Sunday. When I did take antibiotics for the infected tooth area, my sacrum pain subsided somewhat as well. But since then, the sacral pain has become excruciating at times. The worse is bending over without supporting the upper half of my body - with a hand or something. I don't know whether the infection and sacrum pain are related, but it almost felt like the infection "settled" in my sacrum; as silly as that sounds. However, that pain has not got away; in fact has worsened.
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 4 hours later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I am sorry that you are facing a tough time. But unfortunately or say fortunately, your pain in sacrum and your dental complains cannot be related to each other. For infection to have spread, there has to be a common blood or lymph drainage. In this case it is neither. Hence these two problems are independent of each other.
Most common causes for pain in sacrum area at age 56 is degenerative changes in the vertebra leading to compression and para vertebral spasm. Get an x-ray of lumbo-sacral vertebra. If possible an MRI will be the best. You will have to engage yourself in some exercises which will be suggested to you by your physiotherapist.
Meanwhile you can take care of the dental problems.
Its difficult to explain why your sacral pain reduced by you taking antibiotics. It could be sheer co-incidence. Or the other possibility is that your dental surgeon might have started you on some pain killers which reduced the sacral pain as well for some time.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: Having sacrum pain. Had premolar extracted. Infection in the site of extraction. Is the infection related to the sacrum pain? 8 hours later
What might the radiologist/physician be looking for in an x-ray or MRI?

Why do you think this type pain just appeared? It began suddenly one morning and by the next day it was full blown. There was no recent injury or trauma or change in physical activity.

And, yes, the dental issues have been taken care of.

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 20 minutes later
Thanks for your followup query.
The radiologist or physician might look for some degenerative changes of spinal cord, any disc bulge or cord compression. Such changes may cause the pain that you are describing.
Such pains do aggravate over a short period. It aggravates cause of the para spinal spasm. There should be some spinal changes- age related- shich could have led to the pain. However imaging is necessary to further comment on. It may or may not occur due to injury/trauma.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.