Having rosacea. Using dooxyclin. Will it cause liver damage. Looking for suggestion

Jul 2012

I have rosacea and have been using dooxyclin for a long time as this was prescribed by my eye specialist. He has said this is causing my blepharitis. Last Oct I stopped using this as I found out this can have long term effects i.e. liver damage. I have changed my diet and have found this to help a little as the rosecea isnt so bad, but still there. Can you suggest something else to me?
Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 7 hours later
Hi there,

Rosacea is a medical condition that has been along a long time. If my understanding is correct, you have been started on this doxycycline treatment by an 'eye' specialist.

While I do hold my ophthalmology colleagues in high regard, I would humbly request you to go visit your local dermatologist & get 're-assessed'. He/she will give you a detailed view on the various treatment options available as there are many & are tailor-made to suit individual patients taking into effect, age, sex, occupations, food habits, aggravating/relieving factors, etc.

My first line choice for mild rosacea is a topical immunomodulating cream/ointment called pimecrolimus and it does wonders to reduce the 'redness' associated.

Also I take my patient's diet history into consideration & 'tweak' it to deal with their rosacea patterns.

Only if these things do not work, I go in for 'systemic' or oral medications. These are purely on a case-to-case basis, so will be improper to 'project' the same & cause anxiety.

Don’t worry, it is an eminently 'manageable' condition & I am sure you will be in good hands with your local dermatologist.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have further enquiries.

Cheers! Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Venereologist,
Bangalore, India