Having ringing in ears, broken blood vessels in eyes, numbness of feet. Had surgery on parotid gland for benign tumor

My father is 55 years old and has a number of health problems that none of the physicians he has seen seem to be too concerned about. First he has constant ringing in his ears, at times it gets worse, but is constant. Second he has yellowing of the eyes along with broken blood vessels that will go away for a few days and then come back. Third he has numbing of his feet and fatigue. He recently had surgery on his parotid gland for a benign tumor. We figured the surgery would make his symptoms better, but it has not. If there are any ideas or insight on what this could be it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 30 hours later

After having read through the details, it seems like your father has 3 independent symptoms not related to each other. A benign parotid swelling is less likely to cause these symptoms and hence surgery has not helped in resolving the symptoms.

1. Ringing sensation in the ears is described as tinnitus. It is a benign/harmless symptoms often associated with an ear pathology. Other causes include drug induced, metabolic conditions and rarely hemachromatosis.

2. Numbness of feet and fatigue is associated with vascular, endocrine, diabetes, metabolic and psychological factors.

3. Hemochromatosis can affect liver functions which may be causing the recurrent yellowish discoloration of the sclera and repeated bruising of conjuctival blood vessels.

I understand you have been concerned with your father developing health issues. Parotid surgery wouldn't have helped in treating these concerns.
The cause is probably some systemic condition as mentioned above. A detailed examination and investigations that includes blood counts, biochemical test - electrolytes, liver and renal functions, blood sugars, blood pressure check up, ear and eye examination will help us to narrow down the possibility.

A visit to your primary physician is warranted. The aforementioned tests can be streamlined under his/her guidance. I am sure the results of these test will give us a clue as to what exactly your father is suffering with and the best approach towards its treatment.

Hope the information provided is useful and helpful. Let me if I have missed out any part, I will be glad to assist you further.

To your father's good health.

Best Regards