Having rib cage pain below breast towards stomach. What could be the cause?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi my younger sister is having a great deal of pain in her rib cage just below her left breast about 4 inches down toward her stomach, but to the side it gets really painful sometimes just like she's been punched what could be the cause? She has had her liver and kidneys checked but she thinks its something muscular but it has been there for months.
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
clarifications required

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

However I would require a couple of more details to help you in answering your query in a better justified way.

1)How old is she?
2. Has she taken any medications.
3. What all investigations have been done until now.

Hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience.

Regards and wish you good health,

Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Neuro-Psychiatrist and Sexologist

Follow-up: Having rib cage pain below breast towards stomach. What could be the cause? 15 hours later
She is 50 years old. She is not taking any medication. Her doctors can't figure it out. She thinks it could be her appendex or a muscular problem like some muscle has been pulled. But I don't think it would be going on this long without healing. And she said they won't remove her appindex unless it's an emergency

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
It cannot be appendix

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
It cannot be appendix as the appendix is located in the right lower quadrant. Muscle sprain cannot last this long.
Most likely it might be a peptic ulcer which is causing the pain. This ulcer when exposed to acid in stomach will lead to such kind of complains in the left upper quadrant.
She should go ahead with an OGD endoscopy to diagnose the same. Ulcer is not visualized in USG scans.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.