Having rheumatoid arthritis, migraine and hypothyroid. Blood tests showed coagulant issues. Suggest treatment

Cardiologist
Question
Hi - I am female, premenopausal, with rheumatoid arthritis, monthly migraines, hypothyroid, aged 57 from Australia. I recently had an MRI of brain which showed a couple non-specific T2 hyperintensities throughout white matter likely representing areas of old ischaemic change secondary to small vessel disease. I have also had blood tests recently due to chest compression discomfort, that showed I have 3 coagulant issues - I have Leiden Factor V (heterozygous); APC resistance, Weak Lupus Anticoagulant. I have had not thrombosis 'event'. To treat would you suggest only daily aspirin? Thanks and regards, XXXX
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would begin anti-coagulation for you

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX!

I read carefully your query and would like to say that in your case the decision to initiate anti coagulation should be taken with care.

Although you never had a thrombosis event, the brain MRI result shows some abnormalities due to old ischemic change which may be related with your hypercoagulability disorder.

If i was your treating doctor, I probably will begin the anti coagulation in you.

Hope it helped!

Dr.Benard

p.s. Please write back to me if you have any other concern.

Follow-up: Having rheumatoid arthritis, migraine and hypothyroid. Blood tests showed coagulant issues. Suggest treatment 29 minutes later
Thanks for that. (Father - triple bypass and atrial fibrillation. Mother - alzheimers.)
By 'anti-coagulant' I presume you mean more than aspirin, so what is good about the new anti-coagulant drugs?

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the following answer...

Detailed Answer:
Hi again!

Yes by "anti-coagulant" i mean more than aspirin. There are available a lot of anti-coagulant drugs. The old anti-coagulants (such as Warfarin) and the new anti-coagulants (such as xarelto).

The new anti-coagulant drugs can be taken at a fix dose, Warfarin doses are variable. Also if you take Xarelto you don't have to monitor INR levels (with warfarin you have to). Another good thing is that Xarelto is a direct inhibitor of coagulation and the effect begin within hours (exactly 4 hours) not days as with old one (warfarin need 2 days to begin it's effect).

Hope it helped!

Dr.Benard

Follow-up: Having rheumatoid arthritis, migraine and hypothyroid. Blood tests showed coagulant issues. Suggest treatment 25 minutes later
That's great information thank you. Just one more thing only!! I take naproxen for rheumatoid arthritis flare - I understand it is a blood thinner too. can naproxen be taken with Xarelto?

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
naproxen can be taken with xarelto

Detailed Answer:
Hi again!

Yes, naproxen can be taken with xarelto but this combination should be used with care, because the combination of both drugs increase the risk of major bleeding.

I recommend you that before adding xarelto, you explain your cardiologist all the things about all the medications you are taking.

Hope it helped!

Dr.Benard