Having restless leg syndrome and genetic marker. Taking Benicar HCT for high blood pressure. Will benicar worsen RLS?

I have restless leg syndrome very badly. I am being treated by a neurologist and sleep specialist who has included me in a genetic study for RLS. Both my son and I have the genetic marker. However, it just occurred to me that my symptoms really got bad around the time I started taking Benicar HCT for high blood pressure. I have about 35-40 pounds to lose. In addition, the doctor has found a link between ADHD and RLS. I take 30 millograms of Vyvanse daiky plus a small dose of Wellbutrin. For RLS I take the Neupro patch plus Pramiprexole. This causes impulsivity and fatigue.
If i could drop around 30 pounds i am wondering if my blood pressure wouid decrease enough so I can stop taking Benicar. Do you think Benicar is making my RLS worse?1

I wouid like to get off Benicar when I drop the weight in the hopes that my RLS diminishes.
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi and thank you for posting.

I am sorry to hear about this RLS and all the recent worsening of symptoms that you have.

Because you can clearly spot that all got worse when you started Benicar HCT, it would be a wise idea to stop this drug and try a different anti hypertensive. There are so many drugs for hypertension that a client can always be switched around to find what he or she feels most comfortable with. There is no need waiting any longer. If you get off and it doesn't make a difference, then you would understand what the main problem is.

There is no documented link between this drug and RLS but it shouldn't delay your doctor from trying a new drug and putting a hold on this one. Everything has not yet been documented on drugs and thus cannot be used as a justification to make you stay on this drug.

Loosing weight is a great idea. This will help in both your sleep apnoea, hypertension and will increase your over all quality of life. But, it is a long term process and we are not exactly sure that this will mean you no longer need drugs to stabilise your blood pressure and I will not be waiting until then before making the change.

Hope this helps. Wish you well and hope the information above is useful and helps you. Feel free to ask follow up related questions if need be.
Dr. Ditah, MD