Having respiratory problem. Feeling tired while climbing stairs and brisk walking. Suggest the treatment?

Hello Doctor,

I fear I have a respiratory problem.
I feel tired when I climb stairs. Even while brisk walking, I feel tired specifically while walking along a beach.

Please direct me to confirm problem and help me treat it. Thanks
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Tiredness requires further investigations. The possibilities can be anemia, cardiac issues, respiratory problems like allergies or asthma, some chronic medical condition like diabetes, hypothyroidism, low calcium or other vitamins, depression etc.

Thus the following tests can be done:
-fasting blood sugar
-vitamin B12 levels
-folic acid levels
-thyroid profile
-BUN, sr creatinine
-sr calcium, vitamin D levels

Respiratory infection can have many possibilities. If you describe your symptoms in detail I will be better able to help. Do you have fever, sputum, runny nose, ear ache, chest congestion, nose block?

Waiting for your reply

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Having respiratory problem. Feeling tired while climbing stairs and brisk walking. Suggest the treatment? 22 minutes later
Thank you for the prompt response.

I do agree, a thorough check-up/test is always better for accurate diagnosis of a problem (I belong to the IT support domain :)).

I had done some tests, a few months back with thyrocare and the sugar level was good. Though, I have a history of diabetes in my family so I am particularly cautious with the sugar intake.

Coming back to the symptoms; when I try to take a break at work or try to meditate by consciously taking longer breathes. I do not seem to be able to fill in my lungs completely.
Smoke from incense sticks make me uncomfortable etc..... Please let me know if I am able to make myself clear.

If you have any questionaire, that may help the cause.

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi again

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

From your description, the respiratory issue seems like allergy or asthma. It can also be a chronic infection of respiratory tract. It will require a few tests like sputum examination, chest X-ray and spirometry under the guidance of a pulmonologist (Lung and chest disease specialist) to make the exact diagnosis.

Till then stay away from the triggers. Take a tablet of cetirizine whenever you have runny nose or cold like symptoms. If difficulty in breathing is present, then you may need a salbutamol or salmeterol inhaler to assist with breathing. You will need a prescription for this medicine. Drink pure water. Avoid lying down after eating food, since the food may regurgitate and may be a cause of the symptoms.

While breathing for meditation, do not take deep breaths.

Let me know if I can assist you further

Dr Vaishalee