Having regular periods. Suggest ways to postpone periods for family event?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Good Morning Dr,

My wife got periods on XXXXXXX 4th ,her period cycle are regular.So next period date will be 2nd of july and we got travel and function on those dates.Is there any way to postpone or prepone the periods.

Thank You
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 18 minutes later

Yes, the periods can be preponed or postponed.
For preponement of periods:
-She can start taking progesterone tablets from 11th.
She can take the tablets for 5 days. 11th to 15th.
After stopping the pills she will get periods in 4 to 5 days.
So by around 25th or 26th, the periods will get completed.

For postponement of periods:
She has to start the progesterone pills 5 days before the expected date of periods.
And has to continue the tablets till the date she wants to postpone the periods.
After stopping the tablets she will get periods in 4 to 5 days.

For these purposes we in our clinic usually recommend progesterone tablets like:
Regesterone twice a day or meprate twice a day.
You after consulting your doctor go for these progesterone tablets.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Having regular periods. Suggest ways to postpone periods for family event? 11 minutes later
Whether will be any side effects

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 30 minutes later

Some side effects like nausea, bloating sensation of the abdomen etc. can be seen. These can be reduced by taking the tablets after food. If needed she can take antacids to relieve these symptoms.
Other side effects like breast tenderness, constipation etc. can also seen in some women. But generally these will subside soon without need of medication.
Tablets should be taken at the same time every day to avoid breakthrough bleeding.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.