Having regular periods. Noticed white fluid coming out from breast. What can be the reason? Is this normal?

Mar 2016

Hello sir,
Details below mentioned are of my wife. For past one week she is facing some strange thing. we are married for last 5 months. Her period are regular. Last one was on 16th oct.
Last week, she found white fluid coming out of her brest. what can be reason for this? Is it normal?
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 25 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

According to information, the condition is called galactorrhea (milky discharge from breast without pregnancy) in medical term. It occurs mostly due to elevation of prolactin hormone. It occurs in 5-30% women in reproductive age group.

Little amount milky discharge is less significant and quite physiological. If it occurs in large amount or on regular basis or spontaneously, then underlying pathological conditions are needed to investigate properly. 50% of the cases are without any pathology.

CAUSES: 1) Excessive nipple stimulation or breast massage during sexual excitement 2) Hormonal causes like hyperprolactinemia & hypothyroid state with elevated levels of TSH or TRH hormones 3) Certain medications (methyldopa, opiates, antipsychotics, serotonin reuptake inhibitors) 4) Pituitary adenomas (causing overproduction of prolactin) or compression of the pituitary stalk.

Most adenomas of the anterior pituitary are prolactinomas. Increased prolactin level may cause amenorrhea & infertility. It may be occurred by using birth control pills or cimetidine like H2 blocker.

In this circumstance, she needs to undergo some blood test for prolactin level, complete thyroid profile initially if she has irregular period or amenorrhea. In addition, one CT scan of brain and ultrasound scan of breast are advisable in case of abnormal report of above mentioned tests. Please, consult with her gynecologist regarding this for proper guidance. Proper treatment depends on etiology.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish her good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through