Having reddish ring around stool. What could this be?

I've been drinking a lot lately and I've noticed a reddish ring around my stool. What does this mean?
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibility :piles, anal fissure or liver disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

I wish you had furnished as much details, about your problem, as possible, such as, quantum of alcohol consumed/day and since how many years; any bleeding from mouth in the past; acidity problem; any XXXXXXX bleeding through anus; any growth coming out of rectum; pain in the anus while passing stools; constipation.

This notwithstanding, from the brief details, it seems that you have either piles, anal fissure; or, leaking varicose veins as a complication of possible advance stage of Alcohol Liver Disease (cirrhosis of liver) due to long-standing alcohol consumption.

I would recommend that you consult your doctor, who will have a look inside your rectum through a proctosope, for the cause of bleeding; have you evaluated for Alcohol liver disease and pancreatic problems. Based on the test reports, he will prescribe what is best for you.

Fond regards,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: Having reddish ring around stool. What could this be? 9 minutes later
I have no pain when passing stool, I have been drinking 4 days a week for several months, quantum, roughly 4-6 drinks a sitting. No history of bleeding anywhere, and no evidence of blood seen while wiping. Just the past couple weeks I occasionally see this reddish ring around my stool within the toilet, stool at the times of this occurence is soft, brown.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blood-tinged stool Possibly due to bleeding piles.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back.

The causes narrow down to bleeding piles, Alcoholic Liver Disease or even a mild bleeding in the stomach/intestine (the latter condition is last in the list of probabilities.)

In any case, please do consult your treating doctor, who will work-up on you, arrive at a definitive diagnosis and prescribe suitable therapy.

Fond regards,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal