Having reddish rash on penis and fore skin. Suggested STD. Noticed horizontal lines on nails and pain. Diabetes?

Hello, I have a reddish looking rash on the head of my penis and some parts of my foreskin. I went to a dr about this 4 months ago and was told its not an std. It doesn't itch. Lately I've noticed horizontal lines (not ridges) on my fingernails near the tips of my fingers with a slight pain when I press on my middle finger. Is this possibly diabetes?
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later

The skin lesion you are describing could be 'balanoposthitis'. This is sometimes seen in people with diabetes, and occasionally is a way in which diabetes is first suspected.
However I am not a dermatologist so I recommend you see one to get a diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

The second symptom you are reporting about your nails could be 'paronychia' although it does not seem classically like one. It is a type of infection. Again, you may wish to see your primary care provider for this.
In general, people with diabetes are prone to infection, especially those with poorly controlled diabetes.

The only way for you to know if you have diabetes or not is to get a blood test for glucose levels. This entails fasting for 8 hours overnight. The best test is the glucose tolerance test.
Details are described in this weblink, with criteria for diagnosis: