Having reddish rash on penis and fore skin. Suggested STD. Noticed horizontal lines on nails and pain. Diabetes?
User rating for this question
Hello, I have a reddish looking rash on the head of my penis and some parts of my foreskin. I went to a dr about this 4 months ago and was told its not an std. It doesn't itch. Lately I've noticed horizontal lines (not ridges) on my fingernails near the tips of my fingers with a slight pain when I press on my middle finger. Is this possibly diabetes?
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
The skin lesion you are describing could be 'balanoposthitis'. This is sometimes seen in people with diabetes, and occasionally is a way in which diabetes is first suspected.
However I am not a dermatologist so I recommend you see one to get a diagnosis and appropriate treatment.
The second symptom you are reporting about your nails could be 'paronychia' although it does not seem classically like one. It is a type of infection. Again, you may wish to see your primary care provider for this.
In general, people with diabetes are prone to infection, especially those with poorly controlled diabetes.
The only way for you to know if you have diabetes or not is to get a blood test for glucose levels. This entails fasting for 8 hours overnight. The best test is the glucose tolerance test.
Details are described in this weblink, with criteria for diagnosis:
People also viewed
- Can cashews turn stool green
- Can a heart patient take cashew
- Permanent cure for veezing
- Silicone knee replacement of cartilage
- Is cashew nut harmful for pregnancy
- Cutting leg off due to diabetes
- Std mottled penis joint pain
- Cut on foot infected
- Cashew nuts food poisoning
- Reddish bumps on the penis with pain std
- Sore spot on the penis not std suggestions
- Can diabetes mess up menstrual cycles
- Reddish painful bumps on the penis no std what else
- Permanent cure from lumber spondylites
- Numb legs penis pain std