Having red, round, raised and hard bump on back of neck. Hurts to touch. Could it be ingrown hair?

red round raised and hard size of fifty cent piece. onback of neck where your spine connects and it hurts its been there about 1 month. I dont believe i have been bitten. But could it be a ingrown hair.
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

Thank you very much for submitting your high resolution picture. What I see certainly looks like a superficial infection. This is sometimes caused by an infection which develops within a tiny sebaceous cyst. This is actually otherwise referred to as an ingrown hair.

At this point what I see in the picture has progressed to where I think you will need antibiotics. Generally Oralent about us will get these under control and sometimes lead to a complete resolution. However, if this area only responds mildly and not completely you might need to see a surgeon to have what is referred to as an incision and drainage. This is a definitive management of the condition if it does not resolved with antibiotics.

Thanks again for submitting your question. I hope you have found this to be helpful.

Dr. Robert