Having red lump near ribs with puss and growing. Tobacco smoker and drinks. What could be the cause?

General Surgeon
hello, Doctor
Im reaching out to you in regards to a large lump located on my right side near ribs. It appears to contain puss, redness and growing. At this time I'm unsure of what it could or maybe. It has been on my ribs for 10 years without any problems until last week. I am tobacco smoker and an occasion only drinker im a African American male and in good health .
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 42 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

According to the attached picture this lump looks like sebaceus cyst. This is a benign skin lump, filled with whitish masses. It can stay under the skin without any symptoms for years. However when it gets infected, the pus starts to accumulate in it what gives pain, redness and swelling.

The best treatment for infected sebaceus cyst is a small incision and pus evacuation. This will ease the pain right away. After acute inflammation healing, the cyst should be removed (with the capsule) as such infection can appear again.

Please visit general surgeon for proper treatment.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.