Having red hard bump around anus. Having pain. Took bath in epson salt. Took Advil. Should I go for emergency?

General Surgeon

My name is XXXXXXX I wrote you earlier I don't know what I'm doing with these devices I hope you get this message now. I have had for the last three days ,a hard red bump around my anus. The pain is excruciating I can barely walk ,sit down or lay down. I don't think it's a hemorrhoid since I've had them before in the past. It is very sensitive and it hurts a lot when I touch it. I've tried preparation H but it hasn't done anything. I also took a warm bath with Epson salt that helped for only a half an hour. The only thing that's helping me out to deal with the pain a little bit of Advil. I thought this pain would have subsided by now but I feel like it's gotten worse. Is there something that you can recommend or should I just go to the emergency room. Thank you for your time
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 days later
Brief Answer:
Blood clot in hemorrhoid.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Hemorrhoids usually are painless indeed. However if a blood clot appears inside a hemorrhoid it starts hurting a lot. Such hemorrhoid is also hard and tender.
As you have had hemorrhoids before, this diagnosis seems the most probable. And no medicines will help with it. Such hemorrhoid usually needs to be incised so the blood clot can be evacuated. Otherwise, an abscess can be created.

So please visit general surgeon. You should also consider further hemorrhoids removal.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.