Having red blotches at the base of the thumb. Noticed redness. Guide

Hi im a 35 year old female, i have become increasingly worried about what look like red blotches/broken veins at the base of my thumb both hands, ive convinced myself its palmar erythma but the redness is really only in this area. I would be most grateful if you could shed some light on my major concerns i cant sleep etc many thanks in advance XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 55 minutes later
Thanks for the query and photograph.
From what is visible, I can see that your skin appears very thin, although veins are prominent mainly near thumb.

You dont need to worry much, it appears like palmar erythema only.

I would like to know if you have taken any treatment regarding this.

Thank you
Follow-up: Having red blotches at the base of the thumb. Noticed redness. Guide 4 minutes later
Hi yes my skin is pale and thin etc, no i havent taken any medication. So you say it is palmar erythma? as this really does worry me now thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
Thanks for follow up,
Ya it appears to be palmar erythema.

You can use white petroleum jelly on your hands while sleeping, this will protect your skin.

Please get your liver function test done once and also blood estrogen levels, just to rule out systemic causes.

Hope you get well soon.

Thank you