Having red and swollen tongue. Feeling bloated. Have IBS. What to do?

My tongue has been red and swollen for several days, and stings when I eat salad dressing with vinegar. I also have been very bloated for several days..have IBS....but don't think it is connected. Otherwise I am feeling fine.

Thank you.

Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later

It appears that you are experiencing glossitis or tongue inflammation, many causes are possible but the most common would be an allergic reaction to a food or medication. Other more rare causes include iron defficiency and B 12 defficiency. in cases of tongue inflammation, if there is significant discomfort, there are some oral anesthetics such as benzocaine lozenges thatcan help

truly yours

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN