Having red and itchy sore in the corner of mouth. What to do?

ENT Specialist
What is the red sore that is running out of the corner of my mouth down my chin? It is very Red, hurts and also itches.
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 39 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The possible causes of this rash are are:
a. Angular cheilitis
b. Cold sores (herpes labialis)

2. Get an examination done form a Skin Specialist.

3. An anti-viral steroid combination ointment and multivitamins with zinc supplements may help prevent this. Painkillers and antibiotics may be prescribed for a few days. Sometimes it is a fungal infection (itching). Anemia must be ruled out.

4. Get a dental opinion on over-closure of bite and dryness in the mouth. These factors may also contribute.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.