Ask a Urologist   »  

Having recurring urinary tract infections. Is it healthier to wear disposable pants 24/7?

Hello, My 91 year old mother has recurring urinary tract infections. The ladies who help me insist that it is healthier to have her wear disposable pants 24/7. I believe that it is her best interest to load up on the absorbent pads and let her go without pants during the night. Part of their objection is that it is messy. Sometime the urine wicks up into her shirt which upsets them. My thought process is that I would rather have occasional wicking than have 24/7 closeness of bacteria near her urinary tract and/or her reproductive tract. What is your opinion?
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Use of NONE, except for bed-pan would be ideal Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. I understand your dilemma. Ideally, treating the root cause is THE SOLUTION. Get her urine analysis and culture sensitivity test done, to isolate the causative bacteria and short-list the antibiotics to which the causative bacteria is most sensitive to. An adequate course (at least 10-14 days') of one of the short-listed antibiotics be given TILL the urine is STERILE on culture. Following cure of UTI, the frequency of urination will automatically return to normal. Further, both : disposable pants, as well as, absorbent pads are equally predisposed to introduction of infection into the genitals. However, absorbent pads of superior quality which completely absorb the urine, without keeping the surface wet, should be preferable. More preferable would be that your mother does NOT wear either of them : if she has bladder sensations intact and able to sense the urge to urinate, a bed-pan be kept within her easy reach so that she passes urine directly into it. This will minimize the risk of re-infection. hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to address to further clarifications, if any. Fond regards, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal