Having recurring shoulder pain. How to get relief from the pain? Why is it recurring?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am having shoulder pain while smashing in badminton ..I had a hook of hamate exicission 4 months back and I am not playing for atleast 5-6 months but whenever I plays I am having sever pain in my shoulder ...
I took rest for 1 month and countinued to play but still that pain is there .. what I need to do is it a rotoe cuff injury or muscle injury why it is recurring
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
From the symptoms that you have described, it seems to be Rotator cuff tendonitis or shoulder impingement syndrome which causes irritation and inflammation of the rotator cuff and the bursa when doing overhead activity and hence pain.
This is commonly found in people who do activities like swimming, tennis, baseball, badminton, paper hanging, construction, or painting.

It causes local swelling and tenderness in the front of the shoulder and initially it presents as minor pain but gradually it causes severe pain and loss of motion.

You need to get an MRI scan done which is a more sensitive test for soft tissue and muscular injuries. An Orthopedician is the best person to be consulted.

Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:

1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply cold compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.

If the symptoms are severe then after confirming the diagnosis by MRI, you may need steroid injections or surgical arthroscopic technique (kept as last resort).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having recurring shoulder pain. How to get relief from the pain? Why is it recurring? 16 minutes later
Thank you Dr.
But I never had such a symptom till my hamate has broken. The pain started after my hamate fracture and when I again started playing . before that It was not there .

My hamate fracture was a late diagnosis I was carrying the ulnar pain for 6 months.
I want to know whether this has any relation with my shoulder pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
It seems to be just a coincidence that you started having shoulder pain after the hamate was operated. The shoulder pain is not likely to be associated with ulnar pain.
Playing again might have cause the stress and inflammation of tendons around the shoulder causing the pain.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Having recurring shoulder pain. How to get relief from the pain? Why is it recurring? 4 hours later
If its a rotor cuff injury will i be able to play again ?
how long the treatement last
Is it curable 100%?
Can i regain my shoulder strength
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later
Rotator cuff inflammation is curable with proper treatment. The symptoms do resolve after treatment but recurrence is common. You will be able to play again. Please do not worry.
The time taken to regain the strength varies from person to person but usually considerable improvement is seen in 4-6 weeks.