Having recurring extreme pain under breast line and around back. Feeling nausea. What's wrong?

My wife is having a recurring band of extreme pain under her breast line and around her back as if someone is tightening a band around her. She is feels she is going to throw up. What is wrong?
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 1 hour later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

Please rush to the ER as soon as soon as possible . Her symptoms of band like constricting pain below the breast line and around her back as well as vomiting sensation might be symptoms of heart attack.

Other possibilities are

1. Cholecystitis ( inflammation of the gall bladder due to gall stones) if the pain is below the right breast line radiating to the back. The symptoms fit in with cholecystitis especially in view of the fact that she is obese. Ultrasound abdomen and WBC count should help rule out this condition.

2.Acidity/Gastritis. If the pain subsides with omeprazole/pantoprazole, the diagnosis is more in favour of gastritis.

3.Anxiety/depression?Stress? Increased perception of minor symptoms.

Hope I have answered your question. I will be happy to answer any further questions you might have.

In case you have no further queries, kindly accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a nice day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan.