Having recurring abscesses. How to diagnose this problem?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
sure, I have a question about a patient. I am an NP and had a patient who I saw who had a has had continued abcess's in her perineum and axillary regions requiring past surgical incision and drainage. She presents again after episode on her leg, which took 6 months to heal by another provider. What are the differential dx for the underlying medical conditions causing these abcess's? What blood test would you order besides CBC. Thank You Dr. Grief.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later
The recurrent abscesses your patient is having is likely to be due to the lowered immunity caused by uncontrolled diabetes. You need to monitor her blood glucose levels closely so that the infection can be controlled well.
In addition to the surgical drainage of pus, a culture sensitivity test will help you in choosing the best antibiotic for her. A course of prophylactic suitable antibiotic will help in preventing the recurrence.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.