Having recurrent cold. Diagnosed with high sugar level and had medicine. Sugar level still high . Suggest?

My father in law was having the problem of reoccurrence of cold since march 2013. He had been diagonised with high blood sugar level quite a few years back and was having some medication to control the sugar level.
Recently his blood sugar level increased to 285 around.
The various reports, his diagonsis and medication have been given below
Would request for your opinion on the same.
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

Based on the details submitted, your father in law is 62 years is known to have diabetes on glycomet (Metformin); high blood pressure on Telsite (telmisartan); hypothyroidism on thyronorm, high cholesterol on lipicure and perhaps antiplatelet prophylaxis (ecosprin). His sugars are way above the normal levels as evident by high blood sugar level as well as high Hba1c level.

It is prudent that his current oral hypoglycemic drug (glycomet) is unable to control his blood sugars. It necessitates modification in the way medications are taken or rather change in his treatment as well as life style modifications. Perhaps adding another drug such as glimepiride or insulin needs to be done. Discuss with his diabetologist to rationalize the drugs as per sugar levels.

I also see that his BMI is 32 which is extremely high (obese category). You must be aware that obesity increase insulin resistance and thus high sugars. It is essential that he concentrates on reducing weight by exercises and diet. If needed contact a nutritionist for proper diet plans.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.