Having rectal bleeding. Abdominal bloating and pain with severe pitting edema of lower legs. What could this mean?

I have rectal bleeding and blood in my stool abdominal bloating and pain with severe pitting edema of lower legs what possible condition can it be
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 36 minutes later
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well Bleeding from rectum is a symptom rather than a disease itself. Most common causes of bleeding in your case can be hemorrhoids .

It will be difficult to say just by history that whether bleeding is hemarrhoids or something else but we xcan discuss the options . I advise you to see a gastroenterologist immediately as a per rectal examination is necessary to look for cause of bleeding . A colonoscopy will be necesary to rule out inflammatory bowel disease . A CBC to look for hemoglobin and any significant fall due to bleeding may require blood transfusion.

Your pedal swelling can be related or unrelated . Cardiac evaluation , protein estimation is advisable .Kindly see a doctor immediately .

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti