Having reappearing small red painful bumps on sides of fingers and elbows. Any treatment?

HIV AIDS Specialist
For the last 20 years or so, I have had very small red painful bumps on sides of my fingers, and sometimes elbows. They come and go, dont notice a trigger. They are normally either on tips or sides of fingers close to joints.
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query and uploading the image. I have taken a good look at them.

Your symptom may be due to may be occupational exposure as it is lasting for 20 years now. It can also be due to chronic systemic inflammation that may be ongoing.

Also, you have had a stroke at 22 years. If you are on any medications for this, they may also cause painful bumps like these due to bleeding into the superficial skin.

Sometimes, topical medicines used for any other problem could also cause this.

A milder form of contact dermatitis can also present in this way and is often unnoticed. If you are allergic to a detergent bar or powder, or any cleansing powder or solutions, gardening, chalk powder, or nickel etc., try to avoid direct contact with them as they can worsen your symptoms.

You can use some emollients and if it is a nuisance for you, you can also try using steroid creams.

You will be alright soon.

Please do write back for further discussion on this.

Dr S.Murugan