Having rashes on hips. Looks like shingles. Not having pain. What is the problem?

Hi, My name is XXXXXX i have a red rash partially above hips, it looks like a row of stitches does not itch, but i do have lower back pain. it looks like Shingles but symptoms do not fit. can you diagnose problem.....Many Thanks
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later

I could possibly think of petechial rash upon this description. This is not itchy, reddish brown, stitch like, not raised above the surrounding normal skin. The description is not suiting shingles which is definitely itchy and raised above the normal skin.

Petechial rash do not relate to the back pain. You are right you should take your doctor's opinion before starting any supplements. This rash could be because of multiple drugs that you take. Few drugs that you take can interfere with other's metabolism like Aspirin, Tetracycline, simvastatin.

If the culprit drug can be stopped this rash shall disappear.

Let me know if you have any further queries.