Having rashes inside elbows, stomach and back. Could the rashes be caused by alcohol?

I have a rash on the inside of my elbows, my stomach/chest, and part of my back. It was a light red but not raised or itchy. I have not had an alcoholic drink in close to a month after drinking heavily for about 3 years. Since I have not been drinking I've noticed the rash is gone on the inside of elbows and getting lighter on my back and stomach. Could the rash be caused by alcohol?
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later

Alcohol rare causes allergies , it is well accepted substance.Hypersensitivity to alcohol is a rare entity.

Since there is a connection with the quitting of the alcohol and the rashes, there is a possibility where the rash could be due to the preservatives used in alcoholic beverages.One such is potassium or sodium metabisulfite.

The condition is not serious , taking antihistaminics like Benadryl will cure the rashes ones for all.

Hope I answered your query,

Wish you good health.