Having rash on chest and neck. Feeling itchy. Put neosporin. What can I do?

Question
I HAVE A RASH ON MY CHEST AND AROUND MY NECK. IT WAS ITCHY I PUT NEOSPORIN ON IT TONIGHT. WHAT CAN I DO,
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
fungal infection/allergic reaction likely

Detailed Answer:

In view of the itchy lesion, I suspect a fungal lesion here. Secondly, it could be due to an external allergen causing an allergic rash with the itching.

In both case, I would suggest you to use a mild steroid ointment along with anti-fungal like Betamethasone dipropionate ointment with Clotrimazole. The ointment is available over the counter in your locality. You could purchase it from a local pharmacy.

Apply the ointment every 2 hours initially, then every 6 hours. It should be gone in a day or two.

I do not think Neosporin would help here.

It would have been ideal if you could upload a picture of the rash on the right side of this query page. I would be doubly sure of my suggestions then.

Thank you and get well soon.