Having rash on back of hand. Had unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex. Should I worry about HIV infection?

Question
rash on back of hand. plenty of unprotected oral sex in the past. plenty of protected vaginal sex. worried about HIV.
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get tested for HIV Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this rash you have. I have taken a look at it and it doesn't really seem to be very suggestive of an HIV infection related rash. Other signs and symptoms of HIV infection include unexplained weight loss, night fevers, general body fatigue/malaise, etc. Check and find out if you have any of these possible symptoms. Given your past history of unprotected sex, the best way forward is to get tested for HIV. This would clear every doubts as to whether you are positive or negative and lay the frame work for a comprehensive management plan. It is a simple and cheap test that can be done within an hour. I hope this helps you. Please, always try to get some protection during sex. It helps keep you safe and away from potential worries like these. Thanks for using our services and please do feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. Dr. Ditah, MD.

Follow-up: Having rash on back of hand. Had unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex. Should I worry about HIV infection? 4 minutes later
protected vaginal. just unprotected oral. still a risk?

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: It is still a risk but lesser risk compared to unprotected vaginal. The best way forward is to clear yourself of these doubts by getting tested. This would be key and would help stop speculations, guessing and the game of probability. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD