Having rash like stinging feeling in the vaginal area. Prescribed Mupirocin ointment. What to do?

Dec 2013

My 9 year old daughter is complaining of a rash-like feeling, some stinging, around the outside of her vaginal area. I have some Mupirocin ointment, but nothing else on hand (it's middle of night where we are). Please tell me what to do. Thanks.
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the details bleow

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to Healthcare magic.

After reading your query I can make out that your kid is having simple rash due to hygiene related problem only.

For the best part of the immediate management wash the genital area gently with simple soap. You can also give warm water compresses over the affected area for about 5 minutes. If you have any antihistamine like benadryl or pain killer tablet then can be given according to her age.

There is no harm in applying mupirocin ointment as it is simple antibiotic cream only and will not cause any problem. Apply it in a very thin layer so that it should not be visible to the naked eye. Apply it out side the vaginal orifice only and should not applied inside the vaginal area.

Hope the informations will provide benefit your daughter.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay
MD Dermatology