Having rash and fever after getting tested in STI clinic. Are all the equipments safe to use in such clinic?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
I got rash and fever after my testing at STI(sexually transmitted infections) clinic.May be am going to ask stupid question but please reply me with the suitable answer.Are all equiments are safe and needle used for testing are new every times in canada.Sorry but please answer my query.THANKS
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 days later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Thanks to AIDS. After the pandemic spread of HIV disease, world over the importance of asepsis, universal work precautions are gaining its momentum. Even in developing countries almost most of the hospitals are using fresh disposable needles for every procedures and the autoclaving and high quality of sterilization methods are being followed.
If it is so, a developed country like Canada, no doubt, the equipment will be expected to be safe to the extent of world class and only fresh needles will be used every time.

The fever and rash may be due to many reasons. Your physician will be able to guide you better for the diagnosis and for subsequent treatment. The results of STI would have arrived by this time and would have ruled out the possibilities of STI.
You will be alright within a few days.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Having rash and fever after getting tested in STI clinic. Are all the equipments safe to use in such clinic? 2 days later
thanks doctor..
i want to ask you about incubation period of HIV.
are results accurate and highly unlikely to change if someone is exposed to HIV sexual partner after 4 weeks?

Second i had two times unprotected vaginal exposure which i later found that the girl is HIV positive.What are the chances that i contract HIV.I have heard that fe
male to male transmission is very unlikely to occur ans so far i read very few cases in which male got disease from female.
Moreover i read that there are 1 chance in 1000 exposures that you get HIV.

Also am circumcised male so whether it does make any difference in my case.

Please help me.Am dying to think of it time and again.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Welcome back

Antibody tests for HIV will become reactive after 8-12 weeks after sexual exposure and never after 6 months. Early symptoms are likely to occur after 3-4 weeks after the risky exposure. Regular symptoms are likely to occur after many years of contact (5- 10 years or more).

Female to male transmission of HIV is comparatively lesser than that of male to female contact due to anatomical and physiological reasons.

There are 30-40% of individuals remain free from HIV in spite of their regular sex, even after years,with their HIV positive sex partners. They are called as Sero-discordant couple.
As per CDC, Atlanta, the risk of insertive peno-vaginal sex is 5 per 0000 exposures.
Circumcision has some protective effect against HIV.
I hope that I had answered your questions. If you have further questions I am pleased to answer.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Having rash and fever after getting tested in STI clinic. Are all the equipments safe to use in such clinic? 5 minutes later
basicaly i got 4 week result negative.What u conclude from this situation.Doctors here canada told that 3 months is conclusive and 6-8 week result is remain unchanged.What is my condition in your point if view....am i in real trouble?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 31 minutes later
Hi XXXXX,

Welcome back.

There are different types of tests are available for HIV.

1. Antibody detecting tests (common): More conclusive after 3 months
2. Antigen tests : DNA PCR, P24 Antigen test: Became reactive within a weeks time, but more conclusive after 3-4 weeks after the risky sex contact.
3. Combination of both: Combo/DUO Tests.

So depending upon what sort of test had been done for you only, we can tell whether your negative test result after 4 weeks is reliable or not.
If possible kindly upload the copy of the test done for you.

Not necessary to worry. You'll not be reactive.
HIV is nowadays a treatable or manageable disease like any other disease.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Having rash and fever after getting tested in STI clinic. Are all the equipments safe to use in such clinic? 46 hours later
Thanks doc.
The test was Elisa antibody.I want to ask that
does antibody test detects both strain of Hiv 1 and Hiv 2?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 5 hours later
Welcome back.

ELISA test will be positive only after 8 weeks and more reliable and conclusive after 12 weeks. It can detect the presence of both HIV 1 and 2.

But only certain antibody Rapid test will be able to differentiate HIV 1 and HIV 2.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Having rash and fever after getting tested in STI clinic. Are all the equipments safe to use in such clinic? 7 minutes later
Thanks
so after 8 weeks it would be conclusive.I will die awaiting such a long time.How many chances that 4 week result to be changed.Have you heard that any patient result changed after some months.Its very rare hear that guys catch HIV from female.Even some guys did alot unprotected sex and still got negative results.I know may be am asking some stupid questions but i want some peace of mind.Because of worries am even not able to concentrate on my job.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 14 minutes later

You can try DNA PCR TEST OR P24 Antigen test or a combo test to test yourself that you are free from HIV infection. That will relieve all your problem.

I had many patients acquired HIV only from female sex workers. That doesn't mean all exposures are infectious and many remain sero-discordant also.

Dr S.Murugan