Having radiating pain around belly button. Have herniated discs and spinal stenosis. Diagnosed with costochondritis. Cure?

I have several herniated discs and spinal stenosis. My back hurts but not nearly as bad as my stomach. It feels like a pulling sort of pain radiating out from around my belly button. For 6 months my ribs hurt alot too. At first I was diagonosed with chostrochondritis now the drs are trying to figure out if the tummy pain is coming from the nerves from my back. GI and Colososcopy and CT scan were normal. The longer I have to sit the worse it gets. Referred to pain management dr. for shots. Is that the best course of action?
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I think its too early for you to be referred directly for pain management shots. A clinical review to exclude an acute gastritis or peptic ulcer disease crises. It is very common for this disease to be referred to the back and falsely appear as if the pain originates from the back. With a normal endoscopic exams, a problem with the back itself should be actively searched for.

A clinical evaluation of the back, accompanied by a good neurologic examination is compelling. X rays of the lumbar and sacral spines and MRI scans of the spine are very compelling. It is the expertise of the neurosurgeon at this point that is actually needed.

I think its important to know the source of the pain, try to treat it rather than managing pain we do not know the cause. I suggest you consult your neurosurgeon first. Thanks and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.