Having pulsating pain in neck. Took motrin 800mg. How to get relief?

I have a pulsating pain in my neck right side started throbbing earlier in the day hasn't stopped took a 800 mig Motrin only slightly controlled it for a few hours but pain woke me out my sleep
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
The throbbing pain in the right side of neck can be due to many causes.They include-
 Extension of upper back pain secondary to musculoskeletal causes or due to some exhaustive physical activity.
Pain due to involvement of spinal cord(disc prolapse or spinal nerve compression).
Pain due to swollen lymph nodes due to sore throat.
May be due to trigeminal neuralgia.
However if there is some weakness or tiredness or disorientation then a peripheral vascular disease involving the carotid artery or cardiac  ischaemia needs to be ruled out.
If the pain is due to muscular problem then rest,local hot compress and anti inflammatory drug should help you but if the pain is due to carotid artery problem or cardiac ischaemia,then you may need some investigations like a ECG,Lipid profile and a Doppler study of the carotid vessels.
You may need MRI spine to rule out spinal cord disease.
I advise you to consult a doctor and get the appropriate investigations done and diagnosis made.
Till you consult a doctor you avoid weights and strenous work outs,do local hot compress and take  Ibubrufen.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck