Having protected sex. Started irregular period with increased bleeding. What is the problem?

Radiologist
Question
period issues?Hi there! I have been having some strange issues with my periods. Last month it was two days early, this month its a day late and has yet to start. Also, in between my two periods I had four days of bleeding that was a definitely more than spotting. I have a boyfriend and we have sex often, however we always use a condom and we've never had one split or spill or anything. I'm just really nervous and don't really know what to do! Thank you!
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in
First of all make it clear that it is not related to your Sexual life. Also you are not pregnant. You are suffering from dysmenorrhoea in which periods are irregular with increased bleeding. it happens due hormonal imbalance in oestrogen and progesterone.
You need to start hormonal pills for few month but I will suggest please consult your gynaecologist for opinion and clinical examination. Don't take drugs as on the counter medication.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having protected sex. Started irregular period with increased bleeding. What is the problem? 5 hours later
I just looked up dysmenorrhoea and the most common result I found was pain during menstruation. I have no pain right now, just my Period is a day late now, the bleeding in between, and the period last month was two days early. So my period normally lasts 8 days and starts every 22 days, if that helps.

Hi, welcome back.
Sorry to say but there is something confusion regarding history. Can you make me few things clear.
1. 22 day is calculated from first day or last day if menses ( actual bleeding days).
2. Actual flow is for 8 days. And again you have inter menstrual bleeding. Am I correct in this manner?
3. You have mentioned regarding your Sexual life. Can you mention what do you expecting regarding that.

I will definitely clear all your doubts as you have combined menstrual problem.
Looking forward for your response.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having protected sex. Started irregular period with increased bleeding. What is the problem? 10 hours later
22 days from the end of bleeding, so I guess that'd make my cycle 30 days? And yes actual flow days is 8 days usually. I guess I don't understand what you mean by your last question. My boyfriend and I have sex but we always use condoms, and we've never had one break or anything. And I've taken two pregnancy tests and both came out negative so I don't think I'm pregnant. And it wouldn't be any STDs or STIs because we're monogamous.

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 40 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing back.
30 day cycle is not considered irregular menstruation. It needs difference of at least 8 days. You are having menorrhagia and metorrhagia disorder. Menorrhagia is excessive or prolonged menstrual bleeding at regular intervals. Metorrhagia is irregular bleeding in between expected periods.
Similarly for such menstrual disorders oral hormonal pills are required. It will make cycle regular in 3 to 4 months. Then it can be stopped. However you still need opinion from your gynaecologist. Your Sexual life is not related to this problem at all.

Regards.