Having protected sex. Noticed blisters on vagina. Could it be herpes?

Excellent
Question
Hi, I am an 18 year old female. I have had only one sexual partner. We have been together for a year. We use protection. I recently noticed "blisters" on my vagina. I went to the dr today & she said she thought it was herpes. I just dont understand how this could happen to me? I got some of my lab results back & the only ones that I dont understand are squamous epithelial cells showed "few" and mucous, URSED, QL, auto count shows present. Please help me, I am so scared.
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 22 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your questions.

First of all, herpes has a very classic appearance, and if this was your doctors impression, then it is a very disctinct possibility. It is a sexually transmitted disease. It is a virus that causes oral sores (cold sores) and genital sores. The oral sores can also be transmitted to the genital area. So if he has ever had a cold sore, this might be the source.

Also, it is very common for a person (your boyfriend?) to have picked up herpes from a prior partner (if he has had one) and not know that he is a carrier.

If you have an "initial" herpes infection, it is often preceded by a flu-like illness followed by the painful eruption of blisters in the vaginal and vulvar area. Hopefully a culture was obtained. The results of the labs are not helpful at all. The real answer lies in a culture for the virus itself

The treatment is typically an antiviral such as valtrex or acyclovir.

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have any followup questions.

Follow-up: Having protected sex. Noticed blisters on vagina. Could it be herpes? 3 minutes later
I have not had any flu-like symptoms, thankfully. Can you possibly explain to me what the mucous in my urine test meant? and the epithelial cells showing as "few" means?
Is there a chance this could be something different? I am a water polo player & spend A LOT of time in a swim suit (not sure if that could tell you anything)
Thank you

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 8 minutes later
The mucus in the urine is likely contamination and a normal finding.

Epithelial cells are just an indication of how contaminated the urine is - it is just skin cells present in the urine - "few" just means that it is not that contaminated.

While this could certainly be related to skin breakdown related to the occlusion that occurs with a bathing suit and long exposure to a wet environment, or a really bad yeast infection, the presence of disctinct blister-like lesions is definitely concerning for herpes. They usually are quite painful. The typical course of the infection is that the blisters drain and the lesions crust over and form a shallow painful ulcer that eventually goes away. You can observe how they behave in terms of sorting this out. I would also avoid any sexual contact until this is sorted out as well.

Did they do a culture for herpes? Did they start you on medication?

Follow-up: Having protected sex. Noticed blisters on vagina. Could it be herpes? 7 minutes later
They did do a culture. The meds they gave me are acyclovir. I just dont understand. I have saved myself for the man I love. We use condoms. I thought I was careful & protecting myself. Is it true that this is a life long disease?
Thank you for all of your advice.

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 12 minutes later
Good, they did a culture. Good, they started you on antivirals.

Is there even the slightest chance that he has had other partners?

Have either of you ever had a cold sore?