Ask a Urologist   »  

Having prostate cancer. Getting frequent urination.

I seem to urinate a lot ,in quanalities of 8 onces or more .T hen this may happen 4 0r 5 times ease off. Each time I will drink a 8 oz glass of water then I will go again .There are times that I will go 5 hours without having to urinate. then imight start over again. I am up 3 or 4 times a night. I do have Prostate cancer and have had 27 external beam treatments. I take flomax. .I have have urine test,cultures and ct scan of the kidneys and bladder and nothing is as they put it "unremarkable" My PSA is now down to .06 at last reading a month ago down from 6.6 before radiation. So wahts up?
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 35 hours later

Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX
This could be due to a combination of prostate cancer, benign enlargement, radiation effect and overactive bladder.
What is in your hand is to try to maintain a frequency volume chart- which means keep a diary of total fluid intake ( water, juice, coffee, tea etc) over a period of 24 hrs and urine output with time - for a total of one week.
This will help us identify the fluid balance and possible correction by simple methods.
Try to restrict fluid intake after 6 pm to reduce the urine output at night.
If this does not help, then a physical examination, possible change of flomax and addition of medicines for overactive bladder should help.
Uroflowmetry needs to be done if more than six months since the last test.
Hope i answered your query.
Kindly get back for doubts if any.