Having prolonged headache. Oncologist said it is not migraine. What can it be?

I have prolonged headache everyday. Although it is not severe, it is like continuous and painful. I contacted an oncologist and based on symptoms he told it is not migraine. What else can it be?
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 3 hours later
Dear friend,

Initial impression from you suggests that it is a type of headache termed as "continuous daily headache".

It’s not that serious but you should have a consultation with neurologist or headache specialist. He will evaluate it by taking detailed history and will decide about investigations and appropriate treatment.

You may be required to take a plain CT of the brain and EEG (Electroencephalogram) study to be done, if it is a cranial cause. Other causes for headache like sinusitis, cluster headache, stress headache need to be rule out before this.

Please write in detail about the associated symptoms like projectile vomiting, ringing sensations in ear, dizziness, the time of occurrence of the headache, the pattern of it, history of head injury, so that I can suggest you better.

Follow-up: Having prolonged headache. Oncologist said it is not migraine. What can it be? 17 hours later

Thanks for the reply. I generally get headache after 12 noon. On a day with more work pressure, the condition becomes worse. I don't have any vomiting sensation but on a tiring day i feel giddy at the end of the day.
Also this is the third year i am facing this problem. In the last 2 years also i had similar headache for nearly 2 months during June-July. Both times i consulted an oncologist. After eye check-up and knowing symptoms nothing was finalized by the doctor. Since it got solved in 2 months time ,I didn't follow up regarding the problem. This year the same problem has come up again.
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 7 hours later

Thank you for providing a good description. Your symptoms suggest it to be Chronic Tension Type Headache. This easily responds to medicines. When the headache becomes severe, you can take Tablet Disprin 1 tablet with food. In this regard, pranayama and exercise will also help you deal with this. However, since the main treatment is with drugs like Amitriptyline, which is a prescription drug, you need to have a check up with neurologist or headache specialist and subsequent course as mentioned earlier
Hope this helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Dr. Pratap