Having prolonged cold and cough. No help from sinarest and azithromycin. What to do?

I am having prolonged cold and cough since 10 days. I had taken simple antibiotic SINAREST and AZITHROMYCIN for the first 3 days. I do not have any fever now but the cough and cold are still there. The cold flum comes in white and sometime yellowish. Is this a normal flu for this season or do I need to do further tests? I'm a HBsAg carrier.
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Flu is unlikely... Detailed Answer: Hi, In the absence of fever, cough and cold is unlikely to be flu or any other infection. The cause may lie in your sinus (sinusitis), throat or stomach (GERD). Allergies may be contributing too. In all probabilities HbsAg carrier state wouldn't be responsible. I advice you using antibiotic over the counter for such problems. You may try a course of antihistamines, cough formulas along with proton pump inhibitor drugs for a week or two and see if you get better. The drugs can be prescribed by your local physician or ENT surgeon. In the meanwhile you can try steam inhalation and 5ml benadryl syrup three times a day at home until you meet the specialist. I wouldn't investigate you if clinical examination is unremarkable. Therefore visit the doctor before you plan any testing on yourself. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards