Having problems with periods. Unable to conceive and had smear tests. Cervix is red. Had ultrasound. Is it cervical cancer?

Question
I have been having problems with my periods for a few months. I am really worried about not being able to conceive but I now have more problems. I have had 2 smear tests and they have not been enough cells to report on but my cervix is red so I am being referred for a colposcopy. I am worried to death I have cervical cancer. What does a red cervix mean?

I am actively trying to conceive had a ultrasound scan which shows numerous small follicles, blood work does not show PCOS as originally thought. I am attaching a couple of reports for you to look at.
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Red cervix is not suggestive of a cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Your cycle length is varying between 24-34 days. Since you are having periods every month and no polycystic ovaries have been found on an ultrasound scan, the irregular length of the cycle seems to be due to a mild hormonal imbalance.
Insufficient cells on a cervical smear is not worrisome. The redness of the cervix can be due to a chronic inflammation or cervicitis or an infection in the area. This is not suggestive of a malignancy. A colposcopy is recommended to find out the exact cause.
Since you are having a difficulty in conception, some basic investigations for infertility are advised as follows:
1) Husband semen analysis test.
2) Serial follicular study in mid cycle to check proper ovulation.
3) Tubal patency test- by HSG (hystero salpingography) or laparoscopy.
4) Complete hormone assay with thyroid profile, blood sugar & prolactin test.
5) Test for cervical factor- Post Coital Test (PCT), Anti-sperm antibody (ASA) etc.
Do consult a competent infertility specialist for proper investigations and treatment.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Having problems with periods. Unable to conceive and had smear tests. Cervix is red. Had ultrasound. Is it cervical cancer? 24 minutes later
For a red cervix will they do biopsies?

I am worried to death that this is going to hurt, I have read loads of reports and 50% say it hurts and 50% says not

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Biopsy is not needed in all the cases.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Biopsy is not required in all the cases. It is only done when there is a visible malignant looking lesion on the cervix. The procedure is slightly painful but the pain is bearable and it is best for you to have this procedure done.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Having problems with periods. Unable to conceive and had smear tests. Cervix is red. Had ultrasound. Is it cervical cancer? 9 hours later
If all my investigations are normal for conceiving should I conceive naturally?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
If all your investigation reports are normal then having a regular intercourse during the fertile days of your cycle will help in a successful conception naturally.
Regards.