Having problems with diarrhoea. Always tired, developed acne, drinking alcohol and lost weight. Suggest?

hi my names XXXXXXX i have been having problems with constant diohrea for a few months now,im also tired constantly which i,ve never suffered from before,i have developed acne on my face which has also happend over last few months.i have been feeling low for around a year which i,ve been drinking more alcohol than usual and not eating properly which i think has led to some weight loss.can you help thanks
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 33 minutes later
Hi !

Thank you for your query.

Dear sir ,

Well looking into your history there can be many causes for chronic diarrhoea and it will be very difficult to say anything just on the basis of history but we can discuss the possibilities.

Chronic diarrhea is defined as a decrease in stool consistency for more than four weeks . blood work up includes a complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, liver function testing, thyroid-stimulating hormone level, and electrolyte levels. A stool routine microscopy looking for cysts any blood etc.

celiac disease. A fecal leukocyte level and fecal occult blood test is advised. Fecal calprotectin is useful in identifying IBD. Clostridium difficile stool toxin should be obtained for diarrhea after antibiotic use. IBS , that is irritable bowel syndrome needs to be ruled out that is quite common in young patients .A testing to rule out HIV is also advisable .

I advise you to see a gastroenterologist for detailed evaluation . Acne problem may be unrelated to this .

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti